Kt's Travels

Thursday, February 16, 2006

A few of my favorite things....

It's nice to be back in the US. I'm rapidly falling into my old spring break routine of lounging around my sister's house. Not a bad life, all in all. Just me and the dogs hanging around the house during the day, watching TV, listening to music, just chillin'....

So the main question about my trip from most people seems to be, "What were your favorite and least favorite parts of the trip?" It was a tough question at first. I have crammed a lot in over the last 6 weeks. But I've narrowed it down to a simple answer:

  • Favorite thing: The camel safari (see the archive for more details on that)
  • Least favorite thing: The motocycle wreck that James and I witnessed, and possibly caused, in India. We were walking back from the internet cafe and this kid went past us on a scooter, no helmet, of course. James and I both have a sneaking suspicion that the rider was actually looking at us, but we aren't sure. Whatever he was doing doesn't matter, but the end result was that he swerved, lost control, and tipped over. By the time we got to him, he was bleeding from the head and having a seizure. I've had some first aid training, but not for this situation, especially in a different country. We didn't speak the language, didn't know who to call, and had no idea if getting involved would help or just complicate things. So we left - not to worry, we made sure other people were in the process of helping before we left. I am now a huge advocate for helmets on any type of bike - 'Cause this kid wasn't even going very fast....

My favorite country - India. Hands down. Thailand didn't even come close.

India is real. You can't escape the reality of the country no matter how hard you try or how much money you are willing to spend. And I liked that. I compare it to doing extreme sports. India is "extreme travel" -You can get a rush from accomplishing a visit there. I liked Thailand, but the areas where I went were too touristy. Beautiful, but very western and touristy. I loved India. And that's saying something, considering that I was homesick for a while, had a headcold the majority of the trip, or was just downright miserable with travel-related intestinal problems for a good week and a half.

I'll be back in Denver soon - probably next week. Although I still don't actually have a ticket back, so I can stay here until I get kicked out! We went to see Jay Leno yesterday, which was a lot of fun. Next week, my aunt and I are off to see the General Hospital set. Hollywood in action, I can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home