Kt's Travels

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Rag Doll

I think as we all go along in life we learn more and more about ourselves. And this trip and new job have been some pretty great learning experiences thus far. For example, I learned that I can be a huge ditz at times. I never realized to what extent that was true until I managed to lose (either permanently or temporarily) all of the following items in the course of three weeks:
My purse - in a restaurant
My driver's license - on the airplane
My ATM card - in an ATM machine as far as I know

All of these things caused momentary panic followed by relative calm and quick action to just continue onward. The purse was luckily still in the restaurant. The ID is gone forever, but my roommates FedExed my passport to me the next day and it is possible to order a replacement license. The lost ATM card was the last straw and briefly caused some beating of my head against the nearest tree, but now it has been replaced with a new one. So despite the agonizing knowledge that I am a big ditz, all of these things were, in the grand scheme, easily taken care of. So in the course of handling the loss of said items, I have realized something else about myself. To a certain extent, I'm a rag doll - or perhaps a leaf blowing where the wind takes me, if you will.

By this I mean that I seem to have adjusted so that I just go with the flow. I’m not sure when that started, to be honest. I think a lot of it had to do with visiting India. At some points on that trip, I was astounded by my own ability to just take it all in stride.

The same can be said of my reaction to things on this trip so far. I am not letting any of it get to me too much. Of course, it helps that Ashley also tends to handle things really well and without panicking. I think the fact that neither of us completely flipped out when I lost my driver’s license was proof of that. It was a god-awful way to start the trip, but we made it work without any tears, although it was very close! Originally, I was the one slated to drive our rental car. As we all know, that requires a driver’s license. So Ashley ended up driving instead. It did cost extra since she is under 25, but in the end it worked out for the best. She readily admits that she is not the best with directions, whereas I am a pretty decent navigator. This means that we unintentionally stumbled into the perfect arrangement with me navigating and Ashley driving.

Things like that make it easier to just go with the flow, I think. It just reinforces that when you are forced to adjust, sometimes it all turns out for the best in the end…

However – I do not plan on continuing to lose everything. Time to stop being a space case so maybe I won’t need to readjust quite so often…

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Love, Kt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home