Kt's Travels

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Top o' the Mountain

This week we got two new surf school volunteers, Alex and Ken. Alex is from the US and Ken is our representative from Ireland. They arrived right in the middle of several people leaving, so we have been celebrating everyone's last night on a pretty regular basis for the last week. Needless to say, things have been a little crazier than usual. It's tough staying in the Beach Lodge - it's really one big revolving door. Just as you are getting to know someone, they leave! By the time I go, almost everyone will be "new".

I've decided that I need to see more of Africa than just Cape Town and Muizenberg. So I am heading out from the surf school project a bit early. I leave next Sunday to go on a tour up through Namibia and Botswana to Vic Falls. My friend Jalle (from college) is going to meet me in Livingstone, Zambia and then I will go with her to Kalomo, where she is living and working as part of the Peace Corps. I am so excited about this trip! It's 20 days with a group of about 10 people, mostly camping, through lots of desert (including the giant sand dunes in Namibia, just like Brangelina). I will have very limited internet access, so after this week, it'll be a bit harder for me to be in touch with anyone.

Since my time is drawing to a close here in Cape Town, this week is sure to be a whirlwind of sightseeing things that I have been putting off for the last month. It started today with the strenuous hike up Table Mountain. When we started at about noon, the top of the mountain was clear and sunny. When we got there after 2+ hours of huge steps uphill, a cloud had rolled in and we couldn't actually see anything. But it was still fun to hike up and the cablecar down was worth it, too. Here's one picture from the hike up... This is the trail to the top.



Otherwise, this week involved yet another visit to Cape to Cuba for the UK Katie's last night. We got a ride home with a friend of our friend Meshack in the back of his truck. This is classic of the gang here:
Back - Jamie, Alexa, and Katie
Front - Meshak, Sheep, Dana, me


It's not all a big party, though. We did all get up and go to church on Easter Sunday with some of the guys who live here and work in the surf shop with us. We had a gaggle of people from the lodge head to the local church for a very nice service. Easter here is a major holiday. The schools are all off for two weeks and pretty much everything completely closes on Easter Sunday. The music at the service was in both English and native languages. I'm not sure which ones, to be honest, since there are several official languages here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home