Kt's Travels

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Rolling with the punches....

No matter what life throws at you, just roll with it. That’s my motto for the week.

Last week, we thought there was a possibility that we might be going to Australia as employees of i-to-i for the summer. We thought our jobs as university reps would last us until September. But that perception has altered a bit this week. The job is over. “The Man” pulled the plug on us. So we’re working on rolling with the punches we’ve been dealt.

For me, it’s a relatively simple transition. To be completely honest, this was never really planned as a permanent job. This was a temporary ride to be enjoyed until it ended. The end just arrived a bit sooner than expected. So I am readjusting and rethinking things.

First, let me say that I understand why the job is over. And I honestly feel no ill will. In fact, I’m pretty happy with the state of things. Why? Because I may be out of a job, but now that I have some free time, this is the perfect opportunity to take another i-to-i trip. This time I am headed to a new continent – Africa.

My project will be “Work experience at a Surf School near Cape Town” for 6 weeks. This means that I’ll be surfing almost every day that I am there and helping to run the surf school. I could be doing anything from helping with the equipment rentals to participating in the lessons for other beginners!

The whole premise of i-to-i is “Meaningful Travel” – and let’ be honest, working at a surf school does not fit into most people’s perception of doing something meaningful. But this school offers classes to kids from the underprivileged areas on Cape Town. A few of them have gone on to be top South African surfers. J Who knows, I could be giving the next surfing champ a push…

The trip is already approaching fast. I leave for SA on March 15th and get back on May 19th. That way I have 6 weeks of surfing plus 2 additional weeks to go sightsee, go on a safari, etc… More updates will be on the way soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home