Kt's Travels

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Visit to Las Vegas...

The day began as a normal day - Up at 7:30AM, breakfast at the Days Inn continental breakfast, then off to Cal State University Northridge for an info session. We had arranged a table on campus where we could meet with students to introduce them to i-to-i. Unfortunately, when we arranged the table, no one bothered to mention to us that school was not in session at the time…. Slight detail, right??

We arrived on time to an eerily deserted campus. As a newbie to any campus, it can be confusing navigating the area. We headed off in the general direction of where our table was located, lugging our giant black bag with our fold-out display along with us. This bag has been though a lot since November and it is getting a bit worse for wear. It’s a rolling bag, but it tends to drag on the ground a bit as it rolls. We managed to repair the wear and tear with some duct tape in Boston, but it still makes a lot of noise as we pull it along. It may not be an attractive bag, but it is very functional.

Just to give everyone a good visual of me and Ashley as we wandered around campus, we were wearing our matching, cornea-searing orange fleeces with jeans, and lugging the bag. As we walked, I suddenly became aware of the fact that everyone around us was standing completely still. I wasn’t sure what it meant, but I knew it was odd. I paused with the bag, unsure of what to do, but realized that we were wandering onto the set of something – my first thought was that it was a school production or a photo shoot for the school. We happened to pause next to one of the people on the walk and she hissed, “Keep moving, just keep moving,” as soon as we stopped. So we continued, the bag dragging and scraping behind us. Someone on the set ahead of us yelled action and soon we were in the middle of a rapidly moving sidewalk of people, all of them dressed soberly in gray or brown or black business suits. As we moved along slowly, trying to decide where to go, one of the production assistants rushed closer, gesturing for us to move off to the side.

By this time, we had the attention of pretty much everyone around us. The coordinated motion of the set had come to a stop. We still had no idea what was going on. Judging by the reactions of everyone else around us, no one else had any idea why we were there either. The assistant who had motioned for us to move out of the scene seemed very amused by our cluelessness. “Are you part of the scene?” he asked. “No, they’re world volunteers!” someone else offered, reading the back of our fleeces.

Since we weren’t part of the scene, no one seemed to know quite what to do with us. So we continued behind the cameras. They started rolling for the scene again, so I stopped (since I felt bad for all of the noise from the “rolling” bag while they were trying to film). As we stopped, I finally had the chance to really observe as they were filming. Then I saw Josh Duhamel. For those of you unfamiliar with that name, let me just say that I have watched him since he was on All My Children when I was in college, so this was cause for excitement for me. Now he stars on the show Las Vegas. And he is still just as good looking, perhaps even better looking in person.

Turns out that we somehow managed to wander onto a temporary set of Las Vegas, temporarily stop production of a scene, and do it all without even realizing what was going on. Classic.

I tried to get a picture with Josh, but he was on the phone every time they took a break from the shoot (perhaps talking to his girlfriend Fergie from the Black-Eyed Peas?) I’m not about to be so rude as to interrupt someone’s phone call just for a picture. Plus I have to admit that I was a little shaky about talking to him… It’s really enough that we had the chance to watch them film. Now I just need to watch all of the new episodes of Las Vegas to see if we show up as fuzzy orange people in the background.



This is the set. Not the best picture, but it's all I have!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home